"We're targeting customers who want a unique and exclusive truck and appreciate the values associated with the Volvo Ocean Race, regarded as the 'Mount Everest of sailing'", says Kristin Signert, project manager at Volvo Trucks, which will release a limited edition of specially designed Volvo Ocean Race trucks before the start of the Volvo Ocean Race in October.
”The Volvo Ocean Race is an excellent opportunity to expose our brand and build relations with customers and other visitors. During the last race, almost four million people visited our exhibition in the ports,” comments Christina Ohlsson Jones, who is responsible for the Volvo Ocean Race at Volvo Trucks.
The design team at Volvo Trucks has worked hard to give the latest versions the right feel both inside and out. The cab is available in two colours: white "Millennium Silver Metallic" and dark blue "Dark Knight Pearl". Both colours have been specially chosen for the Volvo Ocean Race Limited Edition, and so have the black painted grille, the side stripes with a wave decoration and the globetrotter sign displaying the words "Volvo Ocean Race". There are also "Limited Edition" emblems on the sides of the cab.
The sailing-inspired interior features exclusive materials and details. With plenty of leather, exclusive seams and embroidered details, the driver area exudes quality and craftsmanship. The leather-covered seats are embellished with a blue accent colour, while other interior details such as the steering wheel, mats, door panels and grab rails have unique accent blue stitching. Curtain retainers made of sheet cord are an unexpected feature that heightens the overall effect.
"We wanted the truck to evoke a feel of sail racing and reflect the sleek, refined design of the yachts in the Volvo Ocean Race. For this reason, the interior design features a lot of leather and dark materials with striking cobalt blue accent colours," says Nicola Fox, senior designer at Volvo Trucks.
The Volvo Ocean Race Limited Edition will be available for order from June 20th, in European markets. The first of the limited edition trucks will be delivered in mid-September, a few weeks before the start of the 2011 Volvo Ocean Race.
The Volvo Ocean Race Limited Edition is available for:
• Volvo FH with Globetrotter or Globetrotter XL cab and engine power outputs of 500¬ to 540 hp.
• Volvo FH16 with Globetrotter or Globetrotter XL cab and engine power outputs of 540¬ to 700 hp.
Brief facts about the Volvo Ocean Race
• The Volvo Ocean Race will start in Alicante, Spain in autumn 2011 and finish in Galway, Ireland in summer 2012. The route covers 39,270 nautical miles.
• There will be stopovers in Cape Town (South Africa), Abu Dhabi (United Arab Emirates), Sanya (China), Auckland (New Zealand), Itajai (Brazil), Miami (USA), Lisbon (Portugal) and Lorient (France).
• The race first took place over 37 years ago (as the "Whitbread Round the World Race" from 1973-74), and tests the crews against some of the most ferocious elements that man can encounter.
• The 2011-12 race will be the eleventh edition of the event.
• The design is regulated and the yachts are built for high speeds.
Link to images: http://icp.llr.se/CumulusE_Z/VTC_ImageGallery/Login2.jsp?assets=T2011_1164;T2011_1165;T2011_1166;T2011_1167;T2011_1168;T2011_1169;T2011_1170;T2011_1171;T2011_1172;T2011_1173;T2011_1174.tif
June 20th 2011
For further information, please contact:
Veronica Nyblom, Media Relations Europe, phone +46 31 322 09 97