Sustainability encompasses economic, environmental and social dimensions. Climate cuts right through all three. We were the first company in our industry to enter the WWF’s Climate Savers program in 2010. The objective of the Climate Savers program is to recognize corporate leadership on climate solutions and inspire further progress. The agreed targets help us focus on actions that matter, such as reduction of greenhouse gas emissions and contributions to a lower-emissions society.
Our climate objectives are part of our commitment to the Climate Savers program and we have set out to save energy and reduce emissions from our operations and the products we sell – throughout their operational life.
Follow-up on results 2015–2019 (base year 2013)
Products: Activities undertaken between 2015 and 2019 show a 34 Mton CO2 reduction in lifetime emissions from products.
Production: More than 1,000 energy-saving activities, implemented since 2015, resulting in 170 GWh/year in energy savings.
Transport: Group freight transport CO2 emissions per produced unit is 18% lower in 2019 compared to 2013.
Magnifiers: 12 of the 14 initiatives to promote energy efficiency and to positively influence the value chain are accomplished. The impact of these magnifiers will be summarized when the target period closes.
|Absolute values related to net sales||2019||2018||2017||2016||2015||2014|
|Energy consumption (GWh; MWh/SEK M)1||2,118;
|2,196; 5.8||2,068; 6.4||2,076; 7.1||2,077; 6.8||2,168; 7.9|
|Direct CO2 emissions, scope 1 (1,000 tons; tons/SEK M)1||211;
|223; 0.6||207; 0.6||211; 0.7||220; 0.7||231; 0.8|
|Indirect CO2 emissions, scope 2 (1,000 tons; tons/SEK M)1||113;
|198; 0.5||192; 0.6||196; 0.7||192; 0.6||218; 0.8|
|Water consumption (1,000 m3; m3/SEK M)||5,706;
|4,870; 12.9||4,817; 14.9||4,430; 15.2||4,919; 16.2||4,982; 18.1|
|NOX emissions (tons; kilos/SEK M)||311;
|360; 1.0||301; 0.9||333; 1.1||344; 1.3||332; 1.2|
|Solvent emissions (tons; kilos/SEK M)||1,488;
|2,148; 5.7||1,681; 5.2||1,792; 6.1||1,885; 6.2||2,472; 9.0|
|Sulphur dioxide emissions (tons; kilos/SEK M)||9.6;
|13.6; 0.04||13.3; 0.04||12.9; 0.04||32.1; 0.1||37.9; 0.1|
|Hazardous waste (tons; kg/SEK M)||51,724;
|38,601; 102.0||31,941; 98.6||27,649; 94.9||27,824; 91.6||24,944; 90.4|
|Net sales, SEK bn||418.4||378.3||323.8||291.5||303.6||276.0|
- From 2012 revised system boundaries and emission factors.
To magnify our Climate Savers commitment, we are acting as advocates and drivers of climate positive solutions in our industry and throughout the value chain. We have 14 initiatives – magnifiers - to promote energy efficiency and to positively influence the value chain.
- Volvo Group will co-chair the Advisory Group on Sustainable Transport together with United Nations Secretary-General. In 2014 UN announced the membership of a High-level Advisory Group on Sustainable Transport to provide recommendations on sustainable transport actionable at global, national, local and sector levels.
- Use of renewable energy. Volvo Group will participate in two of WWF initiatives; Corporate renewable energy buyer principle and Biofuels roundtable.
- CO2- neutral facility in Asia. Volvo Group will perform a study of Volvo sites in Asia and the possibilities to switch to renewable energy use.
- Demonstrate new advanced technology for trucks in prototypes
- Volvo Group will increased sales of fuel saving device.
- Develop a prototype engine application with hybrid technology. Volvo Group will develop at least one off-road diesel engine application with hybrid technology.
- Increased use of IPS for Marine Commercial applications. Develop IPS technology so it can be used for more applications which will save fuel.
- Starting up a so-called City Mobility concept in at least five cities.
- ElectriCity – start a bus line in Gothenburg operating with fully electric buses and electric hybrid buses.
- Hosting the Construction Climate Challenge (CCC) that aims to promote sustainability throughout the entire construction industry value chain and provide funding for environmental research.
- Site optimization by developing a supporting tool for customers to improve efficiency for a whole construction site. See Electric Site.
- Industry Standardization leadership; Participation in the International Standardization Organization’s work to develop a standard for machine fuel efficiency within the construction equipment industry.
- Advanced technology development and through field-tests demonstrate technologies with considerably better fuel efficiency improvements.
- Supplier Environmental Awarness through cooperation with suppliers to improve their environmental work.
Sustainability reporting is included in our Annual and Sustainability Report. In our GRI Index we disclose the specific economic, environmental and social sustainability topics that are material to the Volvo Group.