An Integrated Approach of Functional Safety and Cybersecurity Analysis for Concept Phase in Machinery Industry
Abstract & background:
Functional safety analysis and cybersecurity analysis, as two of the aspects which raise more and more concerns in various industries, have overlapped tasks to some extent. Nowadays, in machinery industry, functional safety engineers and cybersecurity engineers are usually doing their work separately. The drawbacks include potential ignored hazards, as well as duplicated work.
Via this thesis work, the candidate student would have chance to explore the potential linkage between functional safety and cybersecurity for target project phase(s), as well as being one of the members to shape the future tendency together.
Task and eventual goal with the thesis work:
- Identify the requirements for functional safety and cybersecurity, especially the process related requirements.
- Investigate relevant functional safety and cybersecurity analysis methods/models.
- Propose a feasible approach, to show the effective combination/interaction between functional safety and cybersecurity analysis, covering at least the concept phase.
- Demonstrate how this approach could work and benefit, ideally based on use case in Volvo CE.
Investigate a practicable approach to make functional safety analysis and cybersecurity analysis effectively interact with each other.
One master student.
30 credits thesis (ECTS).
- The candidate should have a bachelor’s degree and is now completing his/her master's degree, ideally majoring in safety-critical system engineering, computer science, embedded systems or similar.
- The candidate should be self-driven, with good learning and analytical capabilities, as well as have good communications skills in English (written and verbal).
- Having experience about functional safety and/or cybersecurity is a big advantage.
Provided by VCE:
- Hands-on insights from the machinery industry.
- Availability of the industrial supervisor for a weekly meeting with the student.
- Might be a great step forward in the student’s future career, especially for who would like to pursue career in functional safety or cybersecurity areas.
- Remuneration for the thesis work.
Yin Chen. Functional safety engineer. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Volvo Group drives prosperity through transport solutions, offering trucks, buses, construction equipment, power solutions for marine and industrial applications, financing and services that increase our customers’ uptime and productivity. Founded in 1927, the Volvo Group is committed to shaping the future landscape of sustainable transport and infrastructure solutions. Countless career opportunities are offered across the group’s leading brands and entities that share a culture of Trust, Passion, High Performance, Change and Customer Success.
Volvo Construction Equipment is a global company driven by passion, curiosity and by our purpose: to build the world we want to live in. We believe that only through imagination and teamwork can we develop a world that is cleaner, smarter and more connected. Our company culture reflects this belief through the care and trust it places in our customers, employees and suppliers. People are at the heart of our business. It is through our strong network of talented, enquiring and innovative minds that we have been able to pave the way towards a more sustainable future. The global construction industry is our arena and our employees are our greatest assets.
We can only continue to stand out as industry leaders through the people driving us forwards. Come be a part of our team and help us build tomorrow.
Nous souhaitons mieux vous connaître
Processus de candidature
Un email de confirmation vous sera adressé une fois votre candidature déposée. Il vous sera toujours possible de modifier votre profil.