Logistics Development Engineer
Service Market Logistics (SML) is part of Group Trucks Operations (GTO). We are an organization of approximately 4,000 employees globally in more than 40 locations. Every day, we are delivering world-class operational excellence for our customers, based upon smart logistics solutions. Our job is to develop, manage and optimize the Service Market supply chain for all Volvo Group brands and JV’s. The scope for Service Market Logistics includes Flow Optimization, Inventory Management, Distribution Center operations, Customs & Trade, as well as the development of logistics solutions to ensure the highest possible parts availability, delivery precision and quality everywhere in the world. We strive for an innovative and diverse workplace, exercising the Volvo Group values with high focus on customer success.
Mission/Purpose of the Position
The Logistics Development Engineer position is part of the Transport Flow Optimization (TFO) Americas team within the SML Supply Chain Optimization (SCO) organization. Supply Chain Optimization (SCO) is the function at Service Market Logistics where we enable customer success through an optimized supply chain from suppliers to customers by balancing service levels, tied-up capital and transport cost and performance. One of the most fun parts of being a part of the SCO team is that we work together with all Truck brands and Business areas. What we do has a direct impact on the satisfaction of our customers. With us, you can push your own professional skills and drive change together with committed people!
This position will work proactively and continuously to secure an optimized efficient transport network with high lead time stability and precision at the lowest possible cost. The Logistics Development Engineer will strive to secure improvements in the transport network with a focus on parts availability at the right place and time for customer use.
Scope & Influence
This position reports to the Head of Transport Flow Optimization Americas and is located in Greensboro, NC.
- Collaborate within the TFO team to develop the transport network blueprint and requirements
- Contribute to the development of transport network visualization for decision-making
- Develop supply chain performance visualizations, and secure efficient processes for structured deviation analysis & management
- Drive lead time stability improvement initiatives
- Drive development and analysis in the area of freight optimization in order to achieve a healthy balance between inventory, transport & internal operating costs
- Participate in and lead relevant transport optimization fora
- Act as SML interface to the Logistics Purchasing function for planning, execution and implementation of logistics sourcing projects.
- Cooperate and align with transport optimization teams in the Production Logistics organization
- Support other SML functions with expertise and knowledge to in the area of transport networks
- Act according to the Volvo values
- Other duties as assigned by Management
Minimum Education and Experience
- BA/BS degree in Logistics, Supply Chain Management, Engineering or a related field, or equivalent experience
- 2 to 4 years of relevant transportation and logistics experience
- Knowledge of SML processes and procedures preferred
- Demonstrated ability to drive continuous improvement/lean initiatives in an office worker environment
- Holistic view and ability to grasp the full supply chain and how changes impact different parts of the transport network
- Demonstrated ability to work successfully in a global environment
- Demonstrated ability to drive change, to set demanding targets and to motivate project teams to deliver outside their comfort zones
- Demonstrated ability to work in a fast-paced team environment striving towards operational excellence guided by Volvo’s Values and the Code of Conduct.
Necessary Technical/Functional/Language Skills
- As all documentation is in English, proficiency in the English language is required
- Portuguese and/or Spanish language skills a plus
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent ability to analyze, interpret, and communicate data and information in a clear and concise way to decision makers at all levels
- Ability to manage projects and other deliverables to successful outcomes in defined timeframes.
- Self-propelled, planning and execution skills and ability to independently drive and solve complex tasks
- Ability to drive improvements in a global environment through informal leadership
- Good at networking. Ability to work with a large number of connections
- Ownership / Accountability: Taking the lead in getting the job done and accepting responsibility for personal actions, costs, and results
- Ability to take correct decisions based on analysis, communication and experience.
- Excellent computer skills, (Microsoft Office applications)
- Advanced knowledge in data analytics tools such as Excel, Qlikview, or Microsoft PowerBI. Data visualization experience is an asset
Volvo Group Trucks Operations encompasses all production of the Group’s engines and transmissions, as well as all production of Volvo, Renault and Mack trucks. The organization is responsible for spare parts supplies to the Group's customers as well as for designing, operating and optimizing logistics and supply chain for all brands, production facilities and distribution centers where the Volvo Group operates. In Volvo Group Trucks Operations you will be part of a diverse team of highly skilled professionals who work with passion, trust and embrace change to stay ahead. We make our customers win.
We Participate in E-verify
We want to get to know you
An email confirmation will be sent as soon as you submit your application. After this, it is still possible to update your personal profile.
If selected for an interview, you will be contacted with information about the following process steps: second interview, assessments and references.
All candidates will be notified when a final candidate is selected for the job. You can choose for us to keep your resume in our database and activate a search agent that will look for other jobs that match your profile.
When you begin your employment, you will receive an introduction to help you quickly become part of the team and start working with your tasks in the best possible way.