Supervisor - Production (2nd Shift)
Reports to: Director – Product Line
Direct reports and matrix reports to the above Position
Direct reports (blue collar) in the product line report to the Supervisor - Production
Mission/Purpose of the Job
Provide leadership and supervision at a product line departmental level in a production environment with the goal of meeting production objectives. Responsible for safety, quality, delivery, continuous improvement and cost of the production process as well as cascading the business plan objectives to production floor.
Scope and Influence
Supervisor – Production:
Responsible for the production of powertrain components and assemblies (Engines, Transmissions, or Axles) supporting Volvo Group Trucks and Bus brands in North America. Depending on product line, may include any or all of the following: machining, heat treatment, assembly, test, paint operations.
The Supervisor – Production: N-5 from Volvo Group CEO, Reporting to Director – Product Line.
- Insure a safe work environment for all employees using a methodical approach to risk identification and mitigation
- Lead through a communicative leadership style, with 2 way communication and high employee engagement. Ensure all employees are aware of their responsibilities, how they contribute to the total result, and that they are recognized for performance
- Supervise blue collar workers
- Maintain accurate time and attendance records for all departmental employees; initiate and record corrective actions to address attendance issues
- Assess performance, competencies, and flexibility of employees within the department and initiate appropriate training, counselling, or corrective action to optimize the efficiency and effectiveness of the employees
- Ensure the availability of skilled resources to consistently improve upon the performance of the department and readily adapt to evolving demands
- Create an environment of success with the expectation for continuous learning
- Deliver the agreed and committed overall objectives for the product line
- Participate in the development of departmental budgets and objectives.
- Ensure that the production area objective is clearly formulated and motivated to achieve the Group Trucks Operations Hagerstown total business plan and strategy. Apply Hoshin Kanri cascading theory.
- Deliver the agreed and committed overall objectives for the production area of responsibility
- Champion the culture aimed at giving a strong image of the unit and align with AB Volvo values and principles.
- Understand and apply the principles of lean manufacturing. Utilize the techniques and methodologies of the Volvo Production System (VPS).
- Initiate and follow up restructuring and improvement projects.
- Actively support overall company programs and policies.
- Understand the collective bargaining unit agreements and collaborate with union officials.
Fulfilment of financial and operational KPI’s for the product line such as:
- Safety - Lost Time Accident Frequency Rate
- Variable Cost per Unit
- Employee Engagement
- Cost of Poor Quality
- On-time delivery
- Overall Equipment Efficiency
- # Improvements Per Employee
- Essential educational and/or training qualifications and certificates
- Associates Degree and three (3) years’ supervision experience in a manufacturing environment OR five years minimum combined education and supervision experience within a manufacturing environment
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred
- Experience working in a lean manufacturing environment
- Experience working in a Unionized environment
- Knowledge of SAP
- Needs to have a good understanding of the Volvo Group Businesses
- As all documentation is in English, proficiency in the English language is required.
Leading People Competencies
- Strategic Thinking – Customer Focus, Managing Diversity, Priority Setting
- Inspirational Leadership – Developing Direct Reports & Others, Informing, Delegation
- Courage and Integrity – Integrity & Trust, Fairness to direct reports
- Execution – Directing Others, Perseverance, Drive for Results
- Self-management – Learning on the Fly, Self-Development
Volvo Group Trucks Operations encompasses all production of the Group’s engines and transmissions, as well as all production of Volvo, Renault and Mack trucks. The organization is responsible for spare parts supplies to the Group's customers as well as for designing, operating and optimizing logistics and supply chain for all brands, production facilities and distribution centers where the Volvo Group operates. In Volvo Group Trucks Operations you will be part of a diverse team of highly skilled professionals who work with passion, trust and embrace change to stay ahead. We make our customers win.
We Participate in E-verify
We want to get to know you
An email confirmation will be sent as soon as you submit your application. After this, it is still possible to update your personal profile.
If selected for an interview, you will be contacted with information about the following process steps: second interview, assessments and references.
All candidates will be notified when a final candidate is selected for the job. You can choose for us to keep your resume in our database and activate a search agent that will look for other jobs that match your profile.
When you begin your employment, you will receive an introduction to help you quickly become part of the team and start working with your tasks in the best possible way.