Co-op: Cab Driving (Fall 2019)
This Engineering Co-Op position provides an opportunity to develop professional experience in an organization responsible to design and develop a small focused segment of a Heavy Truck interior cab/driver environment. Will work with product design and engineering teams to define, develop, and optimize driver information display and delivery devices and systems, focusing on human machine interface (HMI) and integration for next generation vehicle instrumentation, controls, navigation, autonomous and connected vehicle technologies, and other related devices in a Heavy Truck driver cockpit and vehicle environment, including:
- Develop and maintain design specifications, guidelines, methods, and tools for Human Machine system interfaces to improve the operability, maintainability, usability, comfort, safety, and health characteristics of the vehicle cockpit and working environments
- Develop and maintain standards for evaluation of driving task and information delivery and control systems. Conduct research, design experiments and collect empirical performance data to optimize vehicle control layouts and information delivery for the truck cockpit human and machine, human and task, human and artificial intelligence, and human and environment interfaces using software simulation, interactive virtual and augmented reality simulators and on the road vehicles
- Conduct benchmarking of competitor systems and provide recommendations for product improvements. Work with advanced engineering teams to develop driver interfaces for future vehicle cockpit systems
- In filling this position you will be expected to support the maintenance, development of and integration of interior cab/driver environment compartment components into the overall vehicle system with a focus on accuracy, timeliness, cost and quality, under the supervision of an Engineer.
- Applicants must be currently enrolled and pursuing a degree (graduate degree preferred) in Engineering, or related field, at an accredited school, and have completed 30 semester hours prior to the start of the co-op
- Co-op positions require the student to be enrolled in an off-campus course in which they receive course credit or academic transcript notation from the university/college for their co-op period.
- Co-ops are required to work 40 hours per week and are NOT enrolled in academic courses during their co-op period.
- Applicants must have a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.0
- Experience in vehicle display / control design and interface development, GUI evaluation and development (Qt), and driver perception and cognitive performance evaluation is desired
- Experience with driving task analyses, along with gaming technology and scripting (3D realtime graphics, Blender/Unity/Unreal, bash/shell scripting, etc.) to support virtual and augmented reality driving simulation systems, and driving task analysis is desired
- Experience in Human Factors, Human Systems Engineering, Biomechanics/Ergonomics or related field is desired
- Experience in gaming technology, realtime visualization is desired
- Strong communication skills.
- Valid US Work authorization.
- Be able to work independently as well as take direction and work within established strategic and business guidelines
- Ability to work in a fast-paced and dynamic multidisciplinary team environment
- Strong interpersonal skills; strong presentation, negotiation and communication skills; and effective time management skills
- Problem-Solving/Decision-Making: Taking a well-ordered approach to solving problems and acting despite obstacles or resistance
- Analytical Skills: Recognizing patterns in data, information, or events, drawing logical conclusions, and making recommendations for action
- Teamwork: Building cooperation among individuals and departments, sharing information and resources, and working to achieve group goals and outcomes
- Flexibility: Performing a wide range of tasks, responding to changes in direction and priorities, and accepting new challenges, responsibilities, and assignments
- Ownership/Accountability: Taking the lead in getting the job done and accepting responsibility for personal actions, costs, and results
Volvo Group Trucks Technology provides Volvo Group Trucks and Business Area's with state-of-the-art research, cutting-edge engineering, product planning and purchasing services, as well as aftermarket product support. With Volvo Group Trucks Technology you will be part of a global and diverse team of highly skilled professionals who work with passion, trust each other and embrace change to stay ahead. We make our customers win.
We Participate in E-verify
We want to get to know you
An email confirmation will be sent as soon as you submit your application. After this, it is still possible to update your personal profile.
If selected for an interview, you will be contacted with information about the following process steps: second interview, assessments and references.
All candidates will be notified when a final candidate is selected for the job. You can choose for us to keep your resume in our database and activate a search agent that will look for other jobs that match your profile.
When you begin your employment, you will receive an introduction to help you quickly become part of the team and start working with your tasks in the best possible way.