Legal & Compliance Counsel (Japanese Required)
This is a great opportunity for a legal professional already in-house, or in private practice with corporate and commercial experience, to use his/her knowledge and expertise in a broad and varied in-house legal and compliance role, presenting a wide range of challenges. In a function seen as a real partner to the business, this is a great chance to gain exposure to practical challenges requiring both legal knowledge and commercial acumen in a multicultural environment. You will join a team of legal professionals with diverse background and experience, reporting directly to the SVP of Legal & Compliance.
- Advise operational and corporate functions of UD Trucks in all areas of the law (commercial, competition, corporate, employment, IP, etc.).
- Provide legal services and manage wide variety of legal issues relating to the operations of the company, including corporate governance, commercial contracts (marketing, distribution, aftermarket and technical assistance), disputes, employment and environment.
- Counsel company management and leaders on legal risks associated with various alternative means for achieving business objectives.
- Manage disputes in coordination with functions and external counsels and interface with government/regulatory bodies as required.
- Monitoring legal or regulatory changes in relevant jurisdictions and optimize legal security/compliance: report on legal incidents and litigations, compulsory standards, and develop new processes to secure operations
- Coordinate with other legal counsels within the Volvo Group companies and manage outside legal service providers as required.
- Implement Volvo Group compliance policies and initiatives to raise employee awareness.
- Provide compliance trainings to employees of all levels.
- Contribute to building and developing UD Trucks’ compliance framework.
- Lead or support compliance investigations as required.
Our “Corporate Counsel’s Culture”
- Be Proactive
- Take full responsibility for the legal and compliance risk management
- Get to know the business and keep track of what is on-going
- Don’t sit and wait to be invited/consulted, -- get involved
- Poke your nose into matters
- Develop a process that allows you to regularly and routinely touch all departments
- Network internally and externally
- Be responsive
- Be business/result oriented
- Maintain integrity and independence
- Be a team player
- Create awareness of the legal function’s value-add
Required Skills / Experiences:
- Bengoshi (foreign qualified attorney is welcome)
- Business level of Japanese both written and spoken is required to review the contract (JLPT 1 Level)
- Minimum 3 years law firm practice or in-house experience in Japan
- Solid technical legal knowledge/skills and strong business sense required.
- Distinctive problem-solving abilities, synthesizing and communication skills.
- A can-do mind-set with high drive and energy - i.e. willingness to 'go the extra mile' when/if needed.
- Strong personal credibility, integrity and creativity.
- Ability to work with others in a multicultural Team/Office environment.
- Willingness and ability to travel (primarily in Japan) as needed.
UD Trucks and JVs is an international commercial vehicle solutions provider based and headquartered in Japan. UD Trucks and JVs develop, produce and sell a wide range of heavy, medium and light-duty vehicles, supporting smart logistics solutions across 60 countries. Our trucks go the extra distance, giving our customers extra fuel mileage and uptime.
Our 8,000 smart, modern and diversified colleagues work with passion, trust and change to stay ahead for performance. We will always go the extra mile for our customers and business partners.
We want to get to know you
An email confirmation will be sent as soon as you submit your application. After this, it is still possible to update your personal profile.
If selected for an interview, you will be contacted with information about the following process steps: second interview, assessments and references.
All candidates will be notified when a final candidate is selected for the job. You can choose for us to keep your resume in our database and activate a search agent that will look for other jobs that match your profile.
When you begin your employment, you will receive an introduction to help you quickly become part of the team and start working with your tasks in the best possible way.