Master Thesis: Predict remaining useful time for service brake
Volvo Construction Equipment, a division of Volvo Group, is one of the world's largest manufacturers of construction equipment such as wheel loaders, haulers, excavators, road machinery, and compact machines. To maintain a leading position, it is important to develop innovative products with high quality and, at the same time, high energy-efficient powertrains.
Volvo CE, as part of the Volvo Group, has started to investigate further predictive maintenance technology as possible solution to reach a high level of efficiency and quality on its off-road vehicles.
Candidates should be in the final year of their Master’s studies. Candidates are expected to have:
- Bachelor Degree in Computer Science/Engineering, mechatronics, vehicular system or other relevant technical field of study
- Solid knowledge of machine learning and Data analytic
- Knowledge of Control and optimization theory
- Experience and interest in automotive applications is valuable
- Own drive, open mind and ability to analyze
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English
The object of this thesis work is to develop one or a few testable methods to predict when a customer needs to change the brakes due to wear.
The main activities are:
- Study of current model of wet brake energy, power and temperature with its life cycle
- Collect and preprocess related data
- Design supervised and unsupervised methods to predict the rest of useful time of brake
- Analyze and compare different methods’ prediction results
- Validate the predict results with warranty claim and service records
Thesis Level: Master
Starting date: January or early February, 2020
Number of students: One or Two
Tutors: Mei Hong Bjerstedt, Product develop engineer, Tel. +46 16 5418508
Filip Gustafsson, Develop Engineer-driveline analysis, Tel. +46 16 5419001
Volvo Construction Equipment is a global company driven by passion, curiosity and by our purpose: to build the world we want to live in. We believe that only through imagination and teamwork can we develop a world that is cleaner, smarter and more connected. Our company culture reflects this belief through the care and trust it places in our customers, employees and suppliers. People are at the heart of our business. It is through our strong network of talented, enquiring and innovative minds that we have been able to pave the way towards a more sustainable future. The global construction industry is our arena and our employees are our greatest assets.
We can only continue to stand out as industry leaders through the people driving us forwards. Come be a part of our team and help us build tomorrow.
We want to get to know you
An email confirmation will be sent as soon as you submit your application. After this, it is still possible to update your personal profile.
If selected for an interview, you will be contacted with information about the following process steps: second interview, assessments and references.
All candidates will be notified when a final candidate is selected for the job. You can choose for us to keep your resume in our database and activate a search agent that will look for other jobs that match your profile.
When you begin your employment, you will receive an introduction to help you quickly become part of the team and start working with your tasks in the best possible way.