Do you want to be a part of an organization developing solutions to address today’s global challenges? Would you thrive in an environment where you can lead some of the most skilled engineers in the transportation industry? Does shaping the future landscape of sustainable transport and infrastructure solutions excite you?
The Volvo Group Hagerstown facility provides a unique opportunity in that design engineering, validation testing, and manufacturing all happens under one roof. Check out our facility here
If this sounds exciting to you, we have a great opportunity at Volvo Group for an experienced and talented system Engineer to join our Thermodynamic Systems team in HagerstownWho We Are
Our team, EATS and Combustion sits within Powertrain Engineering which is a part of Volvo Group Trucks Technology North America. In the Thermodynamic Systems team our focus is to develop Combustion Engine and Aftertreatment systems to achieve world class engine performance while delivering the best fuel consumption for our customers and respecting our environment.
Together with us, you will be part of a global and diverse team of highly skilled professionals. We have a strong culture based on our company values, which is central to all our work. We believe in a work environment where:
What You Will be Doing
- We constantly strive for outstanding Performance
- We are obsessed with Customer Success
- We initiate Change to stay ahead
- We willingly place our Trust in each other
- We have a huge Passion for what we do
As a System Engineer in the Thermodynamic Systems team, you will have responsibility for managing the requirements and verification between EATS & Combustion systems of Volvo group North American Internal combustion engine applications. You will collaborate with a global network of teams to grasp all possible synergies and you will lead and support our engineers to set and maintain engine performance over the vehicle lifetime, offering to our customers the best product features on the market.
Your day to day job will include collaborating with multiple engineering teams, solving complex problems, delivering products to projects to support future applications or improve existing customers experience, collaborating with Purchasing, Quality, Operations and Aftermarket.
As a System Engineer in the Thermodynamic Systems team, you will be responsible for:
Who You Are
- Leading requirements definition and verification for EATS and combustion, supported by the technology system engineers in our organization (Fuel injection, Air & Gas, EATS, Combustion)
- Expert knowledge of:
- Engine Aftertreatment Systems
- Air Handling
- Exhaust Gas Recirculation
- Fuel Injection
- Cam Shaft and Crank Shaft function
- Developing interfaces requirements within EATS and Combustion systems and with Base hardware and software systems
- Representing our department in project instances and supporting our teams with tools and information and reporting to secure EATS & Combustion deliveries
- Solving our most complex problems by leading PILs or assigning them to the appropriate team/person based on resource/competence needs
- Approving requirements and product Verification, optimizing usage of simulation whenever possible
- Driving continuous improvement activities
- Developing and maintaining appropriate cross functional networks
As a leader, you show interest in technology with a system perspective, and constantly strive at providing a vision and inspiration to your team and colleagues. You have good people skills and a strong ability to develop and motivate your coworkers as well as yourself. You are result oriented, with the final customer satisfaction in mind. You are recognized for being self-driven, and you feel comfortable dealing with uncertainty and risks. You demonstrate cooperation capabilities in diverse contexts, and you show courage and integrity. Being adaptable and taking up challenges will be part of your daily work. You welcome new thoughts and ideas to challenge one another and yourself. You are also ready to embrace the technology transformation on the long run, moving with your team towards new competences and new products.
Compensation & Benefits
- Bachelor Science in Chemical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or related field; Master’s Degree preferred
- 8+ years of experience in Product Development within the automotive industry
- Leadership experience in complex system development is preferred.
- Experience in Project management, specifically in an agile environment, is a great advantage
- Technical knowledge and understanding of the market and applications
- Ability to collaborate effectively, maximizing each person’s contribution to achieve common goals
- Effective communicator, able to provide a clear message and use compelling arguments to gain commitment
- Can do-attitude and being resilient.
- Ability to drive cross functional and global network and overcome roadblocks
- Accountable, well organized, analytical, business-focused, and holistic mind-set
Are you ready to join our team and shape the future of the transportation industry together with us?
- Competitive medical, dental and vision insurance
- Generous paid time off including paid caregiver and parental leave policies
- Competitive matching retirement savings plans
- Working environment where your safety, health and wellbeing come first
- Focus on professional and personal development through Volvo Group University
- Programs that make today’s challenging reality of combining work and personal life easier
- Want to learn more about these programs? Continue your exploratory journey with us here