Dedicated to quality, reliability, and total customer satisfaction, Mack Trucks, Inc. has provided its customers with innovative transportation solutions for more than a century. Mack Trucks, a member of The Volvo Group, is one of North America's largest producers of heavy-duty trucks. Part of Volvo’s Group Trucks Operations (GTO), the Lehigh Valley Operation is one of 50 plants globally dedicated to the manufacturing of trucks. MACK® vehicles are sold and serviced in more than 45 countries worldwide. Mack manufacturing locations are certified to the internationally recognized ISO 14001 standard for environmental management systems. Mack is also a proud sponsor of Share the Road, an American Trucking Associations' public information campaign aimed at enhancing the safety of our nation's roadways.Purpose/Description:
The purpose of this internship is to allow the student to prepare for their future by applying what was learned during coursework (theory, skill development, professionalism) to the working world. Interns will be provided extensive hands-on experience in their field of study. The student will work on important and innovative projects alongside our experienced staff and engineers.Core Responsibilities:
- Investigate and document innovative tooling solutions to support manufacturing (fastening solutions, lifting solutions, automation, fixturing, ground handling, hand tools, etc.)
- Assist the team with research and development activities surrounding existing solutions and through the development of new concepts.
- Collaborate with cross-functional production team to develop new tools and equipment that will secure product quality while maintaining efficient operations
- Utilize continuous improvement methods to improve safety, ergonomics, quality, and efficiency on the assembly line
- Work with methods team and manufacturing engineering team to help improve, develop, and standardize production processes when integrating new tooling solutions to the assembly line
- Work in our Innovation Space on prototyping activities
- Work with the Advance Manufacturing department to implement new and emerging technologies including, Robotics, AI/ML, Electromobility, Virtual Manufacturing, PLCs, etc.
- Support the competence development activities within the department and develop standard practices for developing and integrating tooling
Minimum Education and Experience:
- Attention to Detail: Monitoring adherence to standards and actively checking for accuracy of data received or generated before passing it on
- Communication: Listening effectively, transmitting information accurately and understandably, and actively seeking feedback non-defensively
- Dependability/Reliability: Following through on commitments, producing timely work to required -- or higher -- standards, pitching in to get the job done
- Flexibility: Performing a wide range of tasks, responding to changes in direction and priorities, and accepting new challenges, responsibilities, and assignments
- Autonomous: works independently, learns what is needed to do the job.
- Initiative: proposes improvements and take the lead in implementing them.
- Excellent computer skills; proficient in Excel, Power Point, Word
- Thrives in a team-based environment
- Must be currently pursuing an Engineering degree and remain fully enrolled in program during the duration of the internship
- Applicants must have a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.75
- Students may work up to 40 hours per week
- Preferred Degrees- Mechanical Engineering, Industrial Engineering, Controls Systems Engineer, Electrical Engineering, Computer Science or other related field
- Prefer a motivated Junior or Senior in good academic standing
At the Volvo Group, we strive for a clear, transparent, and straightforward compensation approach, motivating you to contribute to the company’s growth. For all intern and co-op positions, the hourly range is set at $16.00 - $46.00. The hourly rate for these roles is determined by several factors including, but not limited to, geographic location, academic classification, and degree seeking area of study. In addition to these factors, we believe in the importance of pay equity and consider internal equity of our current team members as part of any final offer.
We also offer the following benefits to interns and co-ops:
- Housing assistance
- Countless career opportunities / internal mobility across our global organization
- Training and personal development