The Senior Network Support Technician provides network infrastructure support for all areas within the Volvo NRV/RVO footprint and acts as a resource for all Volvo Americas sites in network standardization and support. This position occurs as part of the Onsite Americas team, within the Infrastructure and Onsite Services (IOS) unit of Volvo’s Group IT Organization.
The Senior Network Support Technician role is also the local representation of Group Digitial & IT for specific business distribution centers in this area. In this role it is critical to work together with regional and global colleagues to deliver new and upgraded infrastructure for business solutions and the end-user IT environment. This includes, but is not limited to, hosting platforms (typically x86), Windows OS, LAN (wired and wireless), Windows enterprise client solutions for office and warehouse, personal mobility, and specialized warehouse devices such as bar code scanners, forklift mounted hardware, and specialized printing technology. These technologies are highly standardized in Volvo Group IT business practice and much of the work is conducted according to standard processes and methodologies. Most server and network hardware is configured according to Standard Operating Environment (SOE) specifications, common throughout Volvo’s global network.
This role will require as-needed weekend and after-hours support.Core Responsibilities
- Provide time critical support of the network infrastructure
- Provide support/maintenance of standard infrastructure components on behalf of our Infrastructure supplier
- Expert understanding of Cisco switching and routing.
- Expert in Cisco Wired and Wireless LAN equipment and technologies
- Proficient in complex testing / analysis of all elements of network infrastructure.
- Expert in network device troubleshooting (wired/wireless/device)
- Proficient in managing the change process in a production environment.
- Proficient knowledge of IP Telephony and convergences of technology as related to voice and data communications.
- Provides project implementation support to meet business objectives.
- Provides support and resolution for escalated communications problems.
- Follows company guidelines and procedures for trouble resolution and work effort reporting.
- Assist and implement daily adds, moves, and changes, including cabling infrastructure, and hardware (Racks, WIC’s, Patch Panels, Copper & Fiber Hardware).
- Coordinate network activities within the Onsite Americas team, within the Infrastructure and Onsite Services (IOS) unit of Volvo’s Group IT Organization
- Taking ownership and driving resolutions to ensure customer satisfaction.
- Proficient in various coding languages (Python, Ansible, Kubernetes)
- Prior knowledge of NRV infrastructure equipment is preferred
- Working environment
- This position is in a manufacturing plant environment
- This position also supports various Regional Distribution Centers
- A work area with a personal computer and working space
- Working Hours
- Working hours of first shift
- May require earlier starting times after major changes to ensure a smooth start to the plant operations
- The Senior Network may be on-call on a rotating basis during periods of operation
- Part of a local team providing time critical support to the business
- Part of an extended team of network technicians across other facility locations in the Onsite Americas team.
- Physical demands
- Significant walking within the facility
- Moving/installation of network devices
- Ability to work on, around, and under furniture within the office
- Use of small ladders to reach data cabinets
- Once the required training is completed, should be able to work on both scissor and articulating boom lifts at heights average of 20-25 ft to 50ft.
- Due to our locations at Salem and surrounding warehouses occasional travel may be required. Once acclimated to the Volvo environment, the need may arise to assist the network team in other locations within the Onsite Americas locations.
- Is dedicated to deliver customer value
- Has ability to build effective relationships
- Has very strong communication skills
- Has fluency in English, both written and spoken
- Is open to change and enjoys the challenge of unfamiliar tasks
- Pursues everything with energy, drives and has a need to finish
- Broad IT background
- Excellent interpersonal and coaching skills.
- Ability to work with various departments and foster teamwork.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Must be able to identify and resolve problems in a timely manner.
- Gather and analyze information skillfully.
- Demonstrate resourcefulness and initiative in dealing with daily assumptions.
- Understanding of various PLC communications (Rockwell, Siemens, Atlas CopCo)
Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, or the equivalent combination of education, training and experience that provides the required knowledge skills and abilities.Certifications Required
Cisco CCNA certification, BlueCat Advanced Professional Support certification, and CCSA are required. Avaitrix Certified Engineer Cloud certification preferred.Experience Required
- 5-10 years of experience with LAN technologies, including multiple network operating systems (topologies and Wide Area Networking).
- 5-10 years experience working in a highly matrixed organization.
- Ability to work in a team environment, manage multiple clients, and provide consultative skills throughout the process.
- Ideal candidate will have between 5-10 years’ experience supporting manufacturing in a transportation industrial plant
- Ideal candidate will be highly motivated with a strong sense of urgency.