Volvo Penta celebrates 100th Anniversary with donation

Volvo Penta celebrated its 100th Anniversary this past weekend in Gothenburg, Sweden by donating MSEK 1 to the Swedish Sea Rescue Society, which is also celebrating its centennial this year.

Volvo Penta held an anniversary party for 1,000 guests at the Swedish Exhibition Center on Saturday evening to celebrate the company’s 100th year.

In conjunction with the celebration, Volvo Penta donated MSEK 1 to another well-known 100-year celebrant, the Swedish Sea Rescue Society, which will mark its 100th anniversary later this year.

Volvo Penta’s President Göran Gummeson and Volvo Group CEO Leif Johansson presented the donation to Rolf Westerström, head of the Swedish Sea Rescue Society.

Engine manufacturer Volvo Penta was founded in 1907 and 20 years later delivered the first engine to Volvo’s first passenger car, the Jakob. In 1935, Penta was acquired by Volvo and has been part of the Volvo Group since then.

Today, Volvo Penta is one of the world’s largest suppliers of boat and industrial engines, with operations worldwide.

About the Swedish Sea Rescue Society
The Swedish Sea Rescue Society (SSRS) is a non-governmental Swedish voluntary institution founded in 1907. In 2006. the SSRS was deployed and carried out approximately 70% of all rescue missions in Swedish waters. Approximately 85% of all missions were made in response to distress calls from pleasure boats. Commercial vessels accounted for the remaining 15%.

National coverage with 65 rescue stations
The Swedish Sea Rescue Society has a national coverage, with 65 rescue stations around the coast and in some of the major Swedish lakes. The Swedish Sea Rescue Society is the only organization in Sweden with the sole mission to save lives at sea. The Society’s 140 lifeboats are on continuous 24-hour stand-by year round, with a 15-minute response to distress calls. The Swedish Sea Rescue Society's personnel consists of more than 1,500 volunteers as crewmembers