Volvo Group drives prosperity through transport and infrastructure solutions, offering trucks, buses, construction equipment, power solutions for marine and industrial applications, financing, and services that increase our customers’ uptime and productivity. We are committed to shaping the future landscape of sustainable transport and infrastructure solutions.
Our solutions to today’s global challenges are driven by our Mission of “Driving prosperity through transport and infrastructure solutions” and our Vision “To be the most desired and successful transport and infrastructure solution provider in the world.”Who We Are
Group Trucks Purchasing is located in 52 sites around the world, has 1,300 employees and a yearly spend of 120 BSEK (~$11B USD). We have 2,550 suppliers in serial production that delivers 1.9 billion parts to Group Truck plants annually. We are a global team working with pride, breaking new grounds and capturing the latest innovations as well as supporting the brands and safeguarding Volvo Group synergies. We work together with speed and agility, in close collaboration, and with a strong mandate towards our suppliers and internal stakeholders.
Our team, Electromobility, Autonomous, and Electronics Purchasing North America is a key contributor to deliver Volvo Group’s Mission with the increased complexity coming with the continued introduction of new technologies and customer features along with the acceleration of the electrification of our products. We enable this by securing Quality, Delivery, Cost, Feature, Technology, Sustainability and Risk Management (QDCF-TSR) targets through Sourcing, Product Development, and Operations support of both serial production and service parts, with strong collaboration with our Electromobility and Electronics, Electromechanics, and Autonomous Strategic Lines located in Europe. We are also focused on the future success of Volvo Group through helping to accelerate technology and business innovations through partnerships in what we call the CampX by Volvo Group
!What You Will be Doing
As the Senior Project Buyer for Sensors, you are ultimately responsible to influence the global Segment Business Plan to achieve the North American QDCF-TSR targets, inclusive of United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement (USMCA) requirements developed with your understanding of market trends in Sensors, such as but not limited to TPMS, oil sensors, battery sensors, and level sensors.
It will be critical to work with your North American Engineering and global Purchasing counterparts to drive current supplier performance to the defined targets, at the same time continuing to challenge our assumptions in these areas by researching market trends, attending trade shows, and engaging potential new suppliers in feasibility discussions.
You will be based out of Greensboro, NC and report to the Head of New Technologies, Autonomous and Sensors Purchasing North America.
Main areas of responsibility:
Who You Are
- Own the sourcing plan for the assigned segments, including leading supplier qualification activities and contract negotiations
- Drive actions and challenge assumptions both internally and with the sourced supplier(s) to meet QDCF-TSR (Quality, Delivery, Cost, Feature, Technology, Sustainability and Risk Management) targets for the products being developed
- Monitor, identify, and mitigate risks in the project phase in cooperation with your cross-functional project team
- Ensure deliverables from suppliers to fulfill Advanced Product Quality Planning (APQP) activities managed by the Supplier Quality Engineer (SQE)
- Perform daily project purchasing activities related to prototype and initial production orders, logistics, and financial flows to the suppliers
- Proactively scout for new partners through research and trade show attendance
- Work in accordance with the Volvo processes, the Code of Conduct, and the Volvo Values
In our business-to-business environment we believe it is our people who make the difference. We are looking for a person with a results-oriented mindset that puts an emphasis on collaboration and relationship building with both our internal and external partners, which will help you to take on challenging work assignments in a successful way.
We have a strong emphasis on continuous improvement and best practice sharing to improve the way we approach our daily activities. We are looking for someone with:
Compensation / Benefits
- 5+ years of strategic purchasing experience within the Electronic components, sensors segments preferred
- Automotive, Powersports OEM, or Tier 1 Supplier industry preferred
- Expert verbal and written communication skills
- Proven negotiation and analytical skills
- Experience in creating and delivering critical path timelines
- Well-developed business acumen, agile in way of working
- Bachelor’s degree in Supply Chain, Engineering/Technology, and/or Business Administration, or equivalent working experience
- Competitive base salary
- Company bonus
- Comprehensive health benefits
- 401(K) with company match, as well as additional automatic company contribution
- Culture with a passion for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion for all
- Aggressive approach to Sustainability
- Flexible work environment
- 5 - 6 weeks of annual vacation
- Global organization with expansive career growth opportunities
- Volvo Group University for professional and personal development
- Workplace health/wellness, and reimbursement programs
- On-campus fitness center and café
- Would you like to dig deeper into some of the above topics? We invite you to continue your exploratory journey here!