Apprentice Heavy Vehicle Technician (HGV)
Brief overview of the role
This dedicated four year programme gives emphasis to electronics, diagnosis and computer management systems. All aspects of heavy vehicle technology are embedded in the programme. Most of your time you will spend in the dealership gaining hands-on experience and on the job training under the guidance of a trained mentor.
During your 6 weeks period of residential training at the Renault Training Academy (REMIT College), you will cover technology in engines, transmissions and the latest electronic diagnostic techniques covering all vehicle systems.
With the continued growth of the Renault Trucks product, winning awards and ongoing market launches of a wider Electric Truck and Van portfolio, being part of Renault Trucks is an exciting place to be. Want to join us?
At Renault, we pride ourselves on producing world class vehicles with excellent performance and impeccable reliability. We train our staff to the same high standards via our Technician Apprentice Programme – considered to be the best in the industry.
- 40 hours
- We also pay ABOVE the National Apprenticeship rate
Standard Level Apprenticeship - IMI Level 3 HGV Maintenance and Repair.
What are the benefits of the programme?
- Full time employment at Renault Truck Commercials
- Residential training in Derbyshire
- Internationally recognised accreditation
- All qualification fees and residential accommodation paid for
- Team building and special events
The facilities provided by REMIT are state-of-the-art and the workshops world class; REMIT are a Centre of Vocational Excellence for both retail and motor vehicle training and have excellent links with employers across the nation. The training academy has knowledgeable and friendly staff that are there to support you and has excellent success rates.
Requirements and prospects:
Functional Skills Required:
To complete the apprenticeship the employee must pass level 1 English and Maths (or have the appropriate exemption certificate) and be working towards this level prior to taking the end-point assessment for the apprenticeship.
- To be able to effectively communicate at all levels both written and verbally.
- To be able to work on developing new or enhancing existing processes.
- To be able to adapt and take on new skills and approaches.
- Have a real interest in the retail motor industry.
- Be willing to provide an excellent service to our customers.
- The right attitude, determination and commitment.
- Progression to a higher qualification.
- To attain high levels of morale and focus to ensure the highest possible levels of productive efficiency, quality of workmanship and production finish in order to sustain growth in customer confidence in the service provided by the Dealer point.
- Assist technician to carry out repairs according to Renault procedures in a safe and responsible manner.
- Learn how to use Renault special tools safely and efficiently.
- Wear personal protective equipment (PPE) when required.
- Assist with cleaning the workshop.
- Comply with warranty procedures during repairs and with warranty material on completion of repair.
- Ensure that the company’s time recording procedures are complied with.
- Ensure job cards are completed accurately.
- Ensure all vehicle defects are reported to workshop Supervisor.
- Attend college courses regularly and achieve the standards required by the course.
- Attend any technical or development training that is made available.
- Work with the team to ensure a strong top team ethos.
- Support the development of character, skills, attitude and superior individual and team performance.
- Ensure that you conduct yourself in a business-like and professional manner.
- Ensure that the workshop facilities, equipment and tools are kept clean, tidy and maintained, reflecting the Renault image of an efficient and modern retail Dealer point.
Training to be provided
- Level 3 IMI Standard HGV Maintenance and Repair.
- Employer Rights & Responsibilities.
- Functional Skills Level 1 and 2 Maths and English.
- Block release at Remit College.
- Accommodation and meals will be provided.
Qualification and Block release will be explained in more detail at the time of Assessment/Interview.
Questions for candidates
Why would you like to become a HGV Mechanic?
Why would you like to work for Renault Trucks?