Would you like to work in an empowered, enthusiastic, and challenging atmosphere? Are you interested in new technologies such as automation, electromobility, and connectivity? Does the opportunity to drive the development of future Volvo products excite you? Join our team!Who We Are
Vehicle Engineering (VE) is part of Volvo Group Trucks Technology (GTT), a division of Volvo Group North America, provide state-of-the-art research, engineering, product planning and project execution to final delivery of complete products and support of the products in the aftermarket. VE is responsible for the integration and development of technologies into a complete truck for all brands within the Volvo Group. We offer integrated solutions to our customers, and we are dedicated to high quality and competitive time to market.What you will be doing
As a Mechanical Engineering Intern
you will work directly with the Materials Science Engineer within the Cab Analysis and Features Team. This will include being involved in the research and development of new or alternative materials that are used in the design of the exterior and interior of our vehicles. Key focus areas will include environmentally green steel and composite materials with a heavy emphasis on recyclability and circularity. You will have the experience of working with our product design studio, our design engineers and our factories to understand the current materials used in our designs and then proposal and research environmentally friendly alternatives to these materials. The overall goal for this internship is to understand the requirements for the materials that we use in our designs and to use that knowledge to research and suggest alternatives that help support Volvos care for the environment.
Your mission will be:
Who you are
- Support the Materials Science Engineer in researching advanced steel and composite materials.
- Understand the design parameters required for the materials used in our designs for exterior and interior components.
- Visit production facilities to learn how material choices impact our assembly operations.
- Become involved with our design studio to understand how CMF (color-materials-finish) Engineers approach material selection for interiors.
- Present findings and examples when possible of alternative materials that could be implemented into our designs.
You are a Mechanical or Chemical Engineering student that is prepared to work in a challenging and fast-paced environment, gaining experience and knowledge in various aspects of engineering (or mechanical, electrical, software, design, production, etc.). As a valued member of the engineering team within GTT, you will have the opportunity to work directly with the engineers in the department. GTT’s values collaboration and life-long learning and our goal is to contribute to your development while providing you an opportunity to work in a business environment within the manufacturing industry. You will report to the Group Manager Cab Analysis and Features.
Ready to join our team and shape tomorrow’s society together with us?
- Must be enrolled and pursuing a degree in Mechanical or Chemical Engineering at an accredited school and have completed 30 semester hours of undergraduate studies.
- Applicants must have a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.75.
- Interns may work up to 40 hours per week during the summer term.
At the Volvo Group, we strive for a clear, transparent, and straightforward compensation approach, motivating you to contribute to the company’s growth. For all intern and co-op positions, the hourly range is set at $16.00 - $46.00. The hourly rate for these roles is determined by several factors including, but not limited to, geographic location, academic classification, and degree seeking area of study. In addition to these factors, we believe in the importance of pay equity and consider internal equity of our current team members as part of any final offer.
We also offer the following benefits to interns and co-ops:
- Housing assistance
- Countless career opportunities / internal mobility across our global organization
- Training and personal development